Back to top

Stars edge Panthers in shootout

Photo: Panthers Images

Dundee Stars came back from 3-2 down in regulation, and then 2-0 behind in the shootout, to beat Nottingham Panthers on penalty shots on Sunday afternoon.

It was a strong start to the opening period for the Panthers, and an equally as good finish for the Stars as the first 20 ended all square. It took just 129 seconds for the Panthers to take the lead, Ollie Betteridge converting from a Didrik Hendrant pass into the slot after Kevin Carr had already made two excellent saves to deny the home side going ahead. That goal saw hundreds of teddy bears launched onto the ice.

Dundee grew into the game and had the better of the final ten minutes of the period. Mike Robinson in the Panthers net got across his crease excellently to keep the hosts ahead, but was then beaten short side by a smart Spencer Naas finish at 16:27.

Dundee took the lead early in period two with a laser of a shot from Carter Johnson that beat Robinson high, but two goals in the final eight minutes of the period swung the game back in the home side's favour. Hugo Roy levelled on the powerplay at 32:23, following by a Mathieu Lemay one-timer off a Westin Michaud faceoff win at 37:37 - a goal that took a deflection off Brendan Harms' stick on the way through. With 29 seconds remaining in the period, an excellent Drydn Dow pass found Jake Elmer free at the far post to deflect the puck home.

Period three was end to end although the Panthers began to carve out the better chances. The teams ended, however, without further scoring and both took a point ahead of overtime. In the bonus period, Michaud couldn't find Lemay for the back-door slapshot at one end, while at the other both Ryan Valentini and Drydn Dow arguably should have won it for the visitors.

The Panthers went two ahead after three rounds in the shootout but couldn't put the game to bed. as Spencer Naas and Brendan Harms levelled in rounds four and five respectively. In round seven, Michaud couldn't beat an out-stretched Carr, while Harms found the back of Robinson's net to earn Dundee the extra point.

Back to top