Previous Next
Loading Scores...



News Archives


September 9, 2012

Cardiff Devils 3 Sheffield Steelers 4 (After Penalty Shootout)

Steelers gained quick revenge from their home loss against Devils on Saturday by travelling to Wales and grabbing the extra point in a shootout with Cory Pecker firing home the winning shot in sudden death round two.

Earlier, Devils had hit back from 3-1 behind to force overtime thanks to a Mac Faulkner hat trick, while for Steelers skipper Jonathan Phillips scored twice.

Devils had taken a first period lead at 12.08 with Faulkner scoring his first of the night but late in the period Phillips tied it up timed at 19.50.

The second session saw Steelers go in front early with Pecker on target at 21.59 on the powerplay and this turned out to be the only goal in the period. Steelers then established a 2-goal advantage at 42.18 as Phillips added his second but Faulkner pulled one back at 46.36 and then on the powerplay the same player tied the game at 51.34.

Into overtime where Steelers had to kill a too many men penalty late on but when it came to the shootout after all three players from each side had missed with their original shots, both Colin Shields for Steelers and Faulkner for Devils scored in sudden death before Pecker scored the winner next up.

Period Scores: 1-1, 0-1, 2-1, 0-0, 0-1 (1-2)
Penalty Mins: Car 4+6+2+0=12  She 4+2+2+12=20
Powerplay: Car 1/4 – She 1/5
Shots On: Phil Osaer 12+12+2=38  John DeCaro 10+7+9+3=29
Referee: Dean Smith


Coventry Blaze 4 Fife Flyers 3

An exciting game at the Skydome saw Flyers score late to seemingly force overtime, only for Blaze to grab the game winner through Brad Leeb with only 79 seconds of regulation remaining.

The home side took the lead on a delayed penalty call at 7.05 when Shea Guthrie found the target and went 2-0 ahead at 10.54 with a powerplay effort from Ben Olson. Flyers pulled one back at 13.53 as Danny Stewart counted and ending the opening period scoring.

Chris Wands pulled Flyers level after only 100 seconds of the second period but Blaze were soon back in front with Brad Leeb scoring his first of the night at 24.16.

The scoring remained unchanged until late in the contest with Flyers looking to have sent it to overtime when Jeff Caister fired in on the powerplay at 57.43 but only 58 seconds later Brad Leeb scored his second and the game winner to give Blaze an opening  weekend win double.

Period Scoring: 2-1, 1-1, 1-1
Penalty Mins: Cov 4+11+31=46  Fif 18+19+0=37
Powerplay: Cov 1/6 – Fife 1/8
Shots On: Peter Hirsch 10+8+13=31  Bryan Pitton 19+9+6=34
Referee: Michael Hicks


Edinburgh Capitals 4 Braehead Clan 3 (After Overtime)    

After two periods of this Challenge Cup match, Capitals looked to be cruising to victory, being 3-0 ahead against Scottish rivals Clan but the visitors staged a great fightback in the third session to take the game into overtime before Rene Jarolin’s second goal of the night saw the extra point go to the home side.

Only 25 seconds were on the clock when Jarolin shot Capitals into the lead and at 15.35 Jordan Steel doubled the home advantage by beating Garrett Zemlak in the Clan cage to leave his side 2-0 ahead at the opening period buzzer.

Although Clan won the shot count 15 to 10 in the second period there was no reward on the scoreboard and in fact the only goal saw Peter Holecko extend Capitals lead even further at 33.00.

The Clan comeback began when Ash Goldie fired home at 47.31 on a delayed penalty and this changed the momentum on the game completely. Robert Farmer pulled Clan to within a single goal at 52.27 and then at 53.51 Matt Haywood tied the game at 3-3. A frantic finish saw both sides go close to claiming the winner and into overtime again both had claims to win it before at 63.06 Jarolin was on hand to send the home fans into raptures as he claimed the extra point for his side.

Period Scores: 2-0, 1-0, 0-3, 1-0
Penalty Mins: Edi 0+7+4=11  Bra 2+11+4=17
Powerplay: Edi 0/6 – Bra 0/3
Shots on: Tomas Hiadlovski 7+15+10+4=36  Garrett Zemlak 6+10+9+4=29
Refereees: Kieron O’Halloran and Rab Cowan


Nottingham Panthers 5 Dundee Stars 1

Doubles from David Clarke and David Ling saw Panthers shrug off an early goal for the visiting Stars to win easily in the end with the shot count of 56 to 18 telling it’s story.

Only 5.13 was on the NIC clock when ex Panther Sami Ryhanen shocked the 4,000 plus crowd by firing Stars ahead but Panthers were dominating the play and levelled the period at 13.13 with a shorthanded strike by Clarke.

Into the second session and Ling fired his side ahead early at 23.01 before Matthew Myers made it 3-1 before the second period break at 28.32.

Ling scored his second at 46.20 and the scoring was completed at 54.54 on the powerplay with Clarke adding his second to see Panthers go nap and claim both points.

Period Scores: 1-1, 2-0, 2-0
Penalty Mins: Not 2+0+2=4  Dun 2+4+10=16
Powerplay: Not 1/8  Dun 0/2
Shots On: Craig Kowalski 6+6+6=18, Dan Green 0  Nic Riopel 19+19+18=56
Referee: Andy Carson 


© 2015 Elite Ice Hockey League. All rights reserved.